The building that is now the museum was originally a home built in 1904 by local mason Fred Floodstrand for the Harbour family. In early 1970 it reverted back to the bank and the furnishings were auctioned off. It was subsequently occupied by several families before Howard Koob purchased it in 1982. Shortly after, the house was signed over to the Museum Society for use as a museum. After much time and work by many volunteers, restoration was completed and it was opened to the public in 1984.
The first floor has been restored to a turn of the century appearance with a kitchen, dining room, parlor, and library. The library contains 100 years of The Diamond Drill, a local newspaper that is no longer in business. The second floor rooms each have a theme such as mining history, logging history, native american history, military history, youth history and local sports history.
Research can be done in the Museum or in the Archives Room in the Crystal Falls City Hall building on Superior Ave. Some of the records available are Diamond Drill newspapers and birth, death, marriage and cemetery records, and local mining/railroad maps for sale ($10.) Docents can be of assistance and a nominal donation is appreciated.
On the bottom of this page you will find a link to view some issues from the old Crystal Falls newspaper, The Diamond Drill, which shut down in 1996.
Below is a list of some of the things we have completed.
Replaced porch on south side
Submitted "Out of the Past" articles to the Iron County Reporter newspaper (this is done year round)
Repaired and remounted historic city hall bell
Received four grants for building maintenance
Check out the 'events' page to view photos
Issues from 1887 - 1922